Here is an update from Supervisor Wheeler for 5th district residents. Please note the upcoming town hall meeting on Thursday, June 9th, as well as important tree mortality information and other upcoming events. You can find all attachments referenced in the update at the bottom of this post.
From Sup. Wheeler:
Hello District 5 Constituents,
Supervisors Wheeler’s next town hall meeting is approaching fast. Please mark your calendars for June 9th from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at the North Fork Rancheria Community Center (56900 Kuhugib Road). A draft agenda will be shared prior to the event.
I have attached (1) the North Fork Town Hall Flyer, (2) details regarding a free hazardous waste event occurring on June 18th in Oakhurst and (3) information on an upcoming event for the Court Appointment Special Advocates (CASA) who help represent the foster youth of Madera. If you recall they were one of our speakers at the Coarsegold town hall last month. You can learn more about them here: www.casafresnomadera.org
Additionally, Supervisor Wheeler asked that I share a few other important updates:
1. The CA State Association of Counties recently released this video to share with legislators about tree mortality in rural communities:
- We continue to look for resources for private land owners!
- In the meantime please continue to do you fire clearance and help others
- Some people may qualify for partial assistance from the Natural Resource Conservation Services. You can contact the Madera County field office at 559-674-4628 and are located at 425 N Gateway Dr. Ste. E Madera, CA.
2. Tom encourages you to look into the CA Road Charge Pilot Program
- Rural participation in this is crucial and will impact us in the future!
- The Legislature created a Road Charge Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) to study road charging because the state gas tax is not able to generate enough money to fix all the 50,000 miles of roads in California. As cars become more fuel efficient, many drivers are paying less gas tax, which continues to reduce the amount of money used for fixing roads.
- Road charging means drivers pay to help maintain the roads based on the distance they travel or a period of time they use the roads, rather than the amount of gasoline they consume.
- In order to ensure that this pilot program accurately represent are rural needs please consider taking a few minutes to participate in this free pilot program http://www.dot.ca.gov/road_charge
3. As you may recall Tom has arranged for Madera County leadership staff to meet in person with constituents on specific challenges/opportunities in the district (Oakhurst). This month meetings can be scheduled for Wednesday June 1st. In order to make an appointment please contact Annette Kephart at 559-675-7821 ext. 3206 or email@example.com
Thanks for your time. We look forward to seeing you on June 9th!
District Chief of Staff, District 5
Click on the following links to view details about the event:
North Fork Town Hall Flyer
Household Hazardous Waste Event-Oakhurst (6-18-2016)
Court Appointment Special Advocates Fundraiser